If you are reading this post, it’s more likely than not that you have an eye on the Turkish rugs and are planning to buy one soon. But let us inform you — though all of them look enticing, they are different from each other in a million ways. And as easy as it seems to you, getting the best Turkish carpet isn’t a child’s play. You have to know the minute details of the same before picking the right, authentic piece for yourself.
So, let’s reveal the secrets today! Shhhh! Let’s keep this secret to ourselves as we venture to procure the best Turkish rugs in the UK, Imperial Rugs sell the most authentic and amazing types of Turkish rugs and carpets, but still if you have to pick the one best suitable for your home from their collection, you need to know some buying secrets.
How to get the perfect Turkish rugs?
When you are finally out to get a good Turkish rug, be sure to check and inquire about the following things before selecting the best one. Because, as you know, these rugs don’t come in peanuts, and good investment deserves great research!
- Handmade or Machine Woven: When selecting the perfect Turkish rug, you have to be sure of your choice – whether you like it in handmade form or it should be woven. Just ask the seller about the type when you toy with one in the shop (online sellers should have them written in the product description)! Although both of these types look fabulous, there is always a touch of grandeur and regalia attached to anything that’s handmade (not to mention the fact that their worldly value is more too). Woven rugs are what flood the market today, and bring before you a more even and smoother finish. However, it is the unevenness and knotty structure of handmade rugs that makes them valuable, aesthetic and a true collectors’ piece de resistance.
- Know your Purpose Behind the Purchase: All of us are different and therefore each one of us have a distinct reason behind buying a Turkish rug. It can be a feather in the cap of a collector, or a memoir that would make you reminisce about your exotic travel experience. Or perhaps you are looking for beauties around the world to make your home your pride and pleasure. Depending upon your purpose, choose your rugs. For example – if you want a plush one to lounge on, a handmade thick version would be a luxury to aim for; while a wall hanging tapestry can be made with a woven variety that is more even/smooth and hence manageable to frame or mount.
- Check its Backside: Never buy a rug before checking its backside. It further helps you to distinguish between the handmade and woven rugs. If the backside is soft and even, it’s a woven rug; and if it shows some threads and is knotty and uneven, then it’s a handmade one.
- Check for the Design, Knots and Threads: The beauty of a Turkish rug is specified by the depth of its design. The minute the knots are, the better it looks and more attractive the design is. Also, the threads, a blend of wool and silk not only makes your rug soft and shiny, but adds more value to it too making it all the more precious and enticing. While a blend of cotton and wool make it less vibrant yet more affordable.
- Check for the Hidden Signature: Not all rugs would be signed. But when there is one, you know you have landed upon a masterpiece. Search for that minute sign between the knots to and salute the mark of pride of the master weaver.
Apart from the pointers mentioned below, experienced connoisseurs of Turkish rugs also look for the age (the older, the more valuable), the size, the colours (natural dyes never fade, while chemical ones do), the style and type (origin and region of weaving) – phew the list seems never ending! But again, every minute of this screening would be worth it if you land upon a genuine piece de resistance.