Concrete is one of the sturdiest materials, used extensively in the construction industry, and is famous for its durability and longevity. It’s a material that can be highly manipulated, and thus, used in various ways around your homes. It’s most commonly used for patios, the areas surrounding swimming pools, driveways, walkways etc. But, as the case with all other kinds of materials, concrete is prone to long-term wear and tear due to harsh environmental conditions.
While concrete is a quite durable material, it can become damaged if not maintained properly. Unfavourable outdoor elements like rain, snow, excessive heat, humidity etc., and repeated stomping by vehicles could push your concrete driveway nearly to death. So, it isn’t a surprise that you would want to seek ways to prolong the longevity of your driveway, and keep it looking as good as new for years to come. Though it isn’t an easy task, it’s nothing impossible. You simply need to follow certain tips to maintain it efficiently, and avoid the need for calling concrete driveway repair services. Decorative Concrete is such a small, family run business who is serving clients for more than 20 years. They are a trusted local business in the Brisbane area, and are well known for offering affordable, high quality concrete finishes for residential and commercial properties.
Tips to maintain your concrete driveway:
When it comes to driveways, concrete is a material which requires the least amount of maintenance, but it’s also one of the most expensive kinds. So homeowners seek to take care of their investment and make sure that it’s kept in a proper condition for years to come. Concreters in Brisbane do a good enough job of building a concrete driveway for you, but the maintenance is up to you. Make use of the following tips:
- Clean it off: The most important thing that you need to keep in mind is to keep your driveway clean. You can do so by sweeping away the leaves, grass clippings, dirt and dust, at least once a week. If you keep your driveway unattended for long times, grass and weeds could start to take root. They will start to grow through the cracks in the concrete, leading to even bigger cracks.
- Remove stains: Concrete has an extremely high porous nature, which makes it almost instant for spills to stain it. This is the reason you should waste no time after a spill. In the case of grease spills, you need to use kitty litter which will soak up the spill. And then, you could use a gentle cleaner such as dish soap and water to wash the area thereafter. A pressure washer also helps to remove stains effectively.
- Apply sealer: In order to protect your concrete driveway in the best way, you should apply a sealer over it every once in a few years. This will help to hold the colour and protect it. But make sure that before applying the sealer, you give it a thorough cleaning. Applying the sealer on a warm, sunny day will make it dry up faster.
- Careful snow removal: It could be convenient to use salt or other deicer chemicals in the winter, but these unfortunately end up damaging your concrete driveway. Using chemical deicers makes the concrete to spall (as the ice melts and refreezes). Newly laid concrete has higher chances of getting damaged, so, it’s better to avoid the use of these during the first winter. You could sprinkle sand cat litter without the worry of your driveway getting harmed. Also, it’s better to use a plastic shovel or snow blower instead of sharp tools while removing the snow.
- Park smart: Concrete, though strong, isn’t unbreakable. So, you should refrain from putting excessive pressure on the edges, as the concrete is weaker there. Make sure to park well away from the edges, and the same applies to heavy equipment and vehicles.
So, these were some of the most effective concrete driveway maintenance tips that you could put to use. Follow these simple guidelines and you are sorted for life. We guarantee you a long life of your driveway, and most of your worries vanish in a poof.